Its so cold back home right now Facebook is drowning in photos of the embarrassing attempt at snow by England and too many status’ moaning about severe frostbite from people de-icing the cars, obviously leaving us no choice but to respond with a picture of our day at the beach. Cruel huh?
So it’s kind of ironic now that all I have been craving this week is a big hot bowl of soup, no fuss no crazy concoctions I’m talking about a good old tomato special. We needed to jazz it up from your classic tin of Heinz, so we started by roasting the tomatoes and garlic, hands down my favourite way to cook anything. You roast it and I’m there fork in hand, drooling.
It’s easy to forget quite how simple making a soup from scratch can be, and the taste well this one was pretty delicious, we have made it the last four nights. Don’t forget it’s also healthy and nutritious and a bowl of soup will fill you up without making you feel bloated and sluggish. Soup is the perfect meal for lunch or dinner, it’s easy, it’s light and it’s so good for you.
You must try it. So unbelievably tasty. And clearly no matter what the weather it proves you can’t go wrong with a classic.
All you need
- 6 large tomatoes
- few cloves of garlic (the more the better in my eyes)
- big handful of basil
- 1 large potato
- 2 teaspoons of tomato puree
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to season
– Skin the tomatoes by pouring boiling water on them, leave for 1 minute before peeling the skins off
– Slice the tomatoes in half and arrange on a baking tray with the garlic cloves still in their skins.
– Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with oil before placing a basil leaf on each tomato (dip the basil in oil first)
– Now roast for 1 hour at 190c
– Whilst these are roasting peel and chop the potato and boil in 1 pint of salted water with the tomato puree for 20 minutes.
– When the tomatoes are roasted pop the garlic out the skin and then blitz them with all the contents of the potato.
– Finally the basil puree, strip the leaves and smash down with ½ a teaspoon of salt. Its going to take a few minutes to get a puree but its so worth it.
Puree complete, dinner is ready to serve. Pour into big bowls, drizzle with your pesto and enjoy.
Dinner time will never be the same.