There are two types of people in this world…those who always pay to add guacamole and then those other ones. Which are you? If you’re even considering this predicament then I suggest you stop reading now and go away and have a long talk with yourself. For everyone else this recipe is going to change your mornings (*lunches, dinners, snacks, we aren’t prejudice).
Introducing my new obsession, Smashed Avocado. I stole this idea from the breakfast menu of practically every cafe in Australia, god knows why we’ve never seen it back home. A crime I tell you, this is the stuff brunch dreams are made of. Even more importantly it’s healthy, its fresh and it tastes so unbelievably yummy, I cannot and will not ever find a fault, apart from there can never be enough.
It’s a pretty fool proof recipe, we end up with a different version every time depending on what I can find in the fridge but it’s always essentially the same key players: I challenge you to find a better way to start your morning, plus with all the benefits from the Avocado and all the healthy fats, you’ll be skipping out the door.
What you’ll need: (this does two of us easily)
– 1 avocado
– ¼ red onion
– ¼ cucumber
– basil or coriander (or both if you’re feeling wild)
– sundried tomatoes
– cottage cheese or feta
– rice cakes or toast
What you’ll need to do:
– thinly cut up the cucumber, red onion and herbs and throw in a bowl
– dice up the sundried tomatoes and add to the mix
– halve your avocado, score the halves and squeeze it all out into the bowl
– add a generous few spoonfulls of the cottage cheese, the more the better in my eyes
– then add salt and pepper and a glug of olive oil
– finally grab a fork and roughly mash the avocado while mixing everything together, you don’t want to make it too smooth, chunks are good and squeeze some fresh lime in there to finish
– then dollop onto your rice cakes or toast and voila. Best breakfast ever.
This is just a basic idea of what to use but you can literally throw anything into the mix and it’s going to be a winner, sometimes we add lots of chilli flakes, or maybe paprika, chunks of feta, olives, capers… You name it its going to work. I challenge you to find a combination that doesn’t taste good.
Breakfast just got a whole lot better. What do you think?